San Roque Elementary School: Where Life Began

Pepe en Pilar, Magallanes, Rizal,and the 13 Martyrs ,among others, were first introduced to me at San Roque Elementary School. And yes,Manuel's Kiosk, Laureano's, Aroma, Pagoda, and Cine Perla, all intriguing places for a curious 7 year-old from the sticks. This page is dedicated to us, pupils of San Roque, who care to reminisce and share with everyone our memories of the more innocent times, the times before high school awakened our minds and hearts to life's harsher realities!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Born during a thunderstorm, an omen of things to come. Started school at San Roque Elementary, 1961. With no benefit of kindergarten, took a while to learn to write my name. Second day of school, I asked my Mama to write my name on a piece of paper, turned it in the next day as my own writing. Bad move! Ginang Guiang called me in front of class and gave me a royal ass-chewing. Six years later, I graduated on top of my class. How ya figure? CNHS, 1967 - my first year of high school. Jukeboxes blaring from every corner, right outside of our Ricarte Building classroom. This was the good thing. The bad things, the temptations (to which I succumbed early and eagerly) were: beto-beto, bilyar, Newports, San Miguel. Yet, in retrospect, 1967 was my best year in the classroom. The next 3 years were a blur, although I recall falling in love for the first time before I graduated in 1971. In November 1972, my family moved to Hawaii. A little over a month later, I was a Navy seaman recruit in San Diego, Ca. In 1982, I met Agnes Doldolea, the woman who will be my wife and the mother of our 3 beautiful daughters: Aimee, Alyssa, and Angelica.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Unang Baitang (Grade One)

Not that easy to recall things that happened on the first-ever day of school. For me, that was forty-seven years ago. Susmaryosep! More than anything, it means que viejo ya yo! I was a skinny, quiet, painfully shy nerd who knew only one other boy in that classroom, Jun Tirona. Everybody else seemed to know each other from kindergarten, which I had not had the luxury to attend. But if there's one thing that has stood out in this boy's mind over the years, it is: sitting next to the prettiest and friendliest girl, Irma Sanding, the first official crush of my life. Irma, ever bubbly and ever smiling, was a niece of my older brother Jolly's teacher, their classroom being next door. She was instantly popular, certainly with me and Jun, which caused me to shrink even further into oblivion sitting next to her in our little "pupitre". I have gone on to have many more crushes since Grade One, pero no yo de olvida mi primero crush.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Forever59er said...

You started early. Grade 1 pa lang may crush ka na?

This post is funny-sweet-cute. It's nice to go back to long ago boyhood, ha?

I hope your ole classmates at San Roque get wind of this marvelous site.

May 21, 2008 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Bloghopped from Annamanila =)

It would be interesting to read your recollections (and more)of your childhood and grade school days. Eventho' di hamak na mas bata ako sa iyo =)) at walang koneksiyon sa target readers mo (your former classmates), I find it a good read. It makes me look back to my own elementary school days (and my youth) when everything seemed so simple, so happy and so free.

Keep your posts coming, and hopefully your friends and former classmates will somehow find your blog.

May 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Jaderose said...

( Felicidades !Bueno ya pinsa tu haci esti blog. Mucho di gusta esti. Di manda sabi yo cun el mga otro alumnos del SRES asunto di esti.)

We share the same Grade One teacher, Gng. Rosalia V.Guiang, who became like a second mother to me, just because I was the very first hijada of her daughter Evelyn. She took me under her wings, watched over me until I finished college in UP, which she herself predicted even when I was still in grade one. She was amazed when I got the highest scores in the tests she gave us, and was very happy and proud when , like you , I made it to the top upon graduation from SRES in 1969. I met my husband the next year, in Grade Two, with Miss Gloria Sanding as our teacher. He says he already had a crush on me back then in second grade! I remember him always grinning everytime I happened to glance at him.

( Largo ya nosi esti. Sana mucho pa otro escribi aqui.)

June 2, 2008 at 3:21 AM  
Blogger gangleyboy said...

I also started my grade school in SRES, although it was 11 years before you, my most memorable years was in San Roque with my 2 best buddies/relatives Rene y Warlito, Miss Sanding, Miss Esguerra and Mrs. Alhambra were my first 3 teachers.
Cosa Pupung, quetal ya tu, quetal ya Tita Eli, llama tu con migo,
Tu primo, Boyeth Santos

June 2, 2008 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger gangleyboy said...

Pupung send me your home phone via email to gangleyboy@aol.com so I can call you. I need to know how Chu-chu and I can get in touch or visit Jolly. Boyeth Santos

June 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Forever59er said...

There are folks -- among those whom you met at the scrabble party the other year-- who read this blog but couldn't comment as they don't have google/blogger account. I think you should have used wordpress instead of blogger (blogspot). Would you like to do it all over again, while it's still early? Go to http://wordpress.com and register an account?

- gibran

June 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home